Creating a stunning, effortless and on-trend hairstyle can be a daunting task. With so many styling techniques and products available, it can be hard to know where to start. This guide is designed to help you understand the most popular styling methods, tools and techniques for creating the perfect effortless and on-trend look.
Best Styling Methods
Regardless of whether you’re looking to create an effortless and timeless hairstyle, or one that is trendy and fashion-forward, it’s important to choose the right styling techniques. Some popular methods used for creating effortless and on-trend hairstyles include using a curling iron, setting with rollers, blow-drying, braiding, colouring, and accessorizing. Each technique can be used to create unique looks that will last all day long.
The benefits of each technique depend on the look you are trying to achieve. For example, if your goal is to get bouncy, voluminous curls, using a curling iron will help you achieve this in minutes. However, if you are looking to achieve a sleek, straight look, then blow-drying is a better option. There are also heatless styling techniques that can be used to create curls and waves without any tools.
No matter what style and look you are trying to create, it’s important to understand the basics of each styling method and how it can help you achieve an effortless and on-trend hairstyle.
Curling Iron Techniques
Creating curls with a curling iron can help you achieve an effortless and on-trend hairstyle. To get started, make sure to use a curling iron with the correct barrel size for your hair type. With shorter hair, it’s best to start with a smaller barrel size, such as a 3/4” or 1” barrel, while longer hair should be curled with a larger barrel size, such as 1 1/4” or 1 1/2”.
When using a curling iron, it’s important to remember safety tips. Always make sure that the iron is either off or at a low heat setting when not in use. Additionally, avoid any direct contact of your skin with the hot iron, as this can lead to burns. When choosing the direction in which to curl your hair, keep in mind that curling away from your face will give a more relaxed and natural look.
To create the desired curls, begin by sectioning your hair into manageable sections and holding each section beyond the clip of the iron. Once the section is securely held, roll the iron up the section of hair. Hold the iron in place for a few seconds and then slowly release the curl. Repeat this procedure until all sections are curled.
Once finished, you can add hairspray or other styling products to keep the curls in place and ensure a lasting look. While this may seem like a difficult task, don’t be intimidated! With patience and practice, you’ll be able to create stunning effortless and on-trend hairstyles with ease.
Heatless Curly Hairstyles
If you are looking for an effortless way to style your hair into beautiful curls without the use of heat, then look no further. There are a variety of methods to creating heatless curly hairstyles that are easy to do and totally on-trend.
To create heatless curls with braids, you can start by washing your hair and detangling it, then divide it into sections. Take one section at a time and braid it as tightly as possible. Once the braid is complete, spray it with some hairspray to help keep the curl in place. Let it sit overnight and when you take it out in the morning, you will have beautiful natural curls.
Another way to create heatless curls is by twisting your hair into knots or small buns. Start by sectioning off clean damp hair and then separate it into even sections. Twist each section of hair around your finger going in the same direction. Secure each twist with a clip or elastic and leave overnight. When you take out the clips, you will have perfect curls.
Finally, you can also wrap your hair around a headband to create texture and waves. Start by putting on a large headband and then backcomb the front of your hair. Twist sections of your hair around the headband, tucking each piece behind the headband as you go. You can finish off with some hairspray to lock in the style.
Creating effortless curls doesn’t have to be difficult or involve heat. With these simple tips and techniques, you can have stunning curls in no time without any damage.
Hair Setting Techniques
Setting your hair can be a great way to create perfect curls and waves that last for days. With the right tools and know-how, you can have salon-style hair styling at home. This section will explore different methods of setting your hair with rollers, curlers and pins, as well as tips for achieving both straight and curled looks.
When it comes to setting your hair, you need to choose the right tools for the job. If you are looking for a polished, sleek look, you can use hot rollers or ceramic hot tools such as curling wands or flat irons. For a more natural wave, large foam rollers or cushioned hair rollers are the best option. Additionally, you can use regular metal bobby pins or butterfly clips to hold sections in place.
For straight looks, you can start by brushing out your hair before using a paddle brush to divide it into sections. Roll the bottom half of each section up onto the roller, starting at the ends and rolling up towards the root. Secure the end of the roller to your head with a pin, and repeat for all sections. Allow the rollers to cool before removing them, and finish by styling with a bristle brush.
To achieve curls, you can start by dividing your hair into two inch sections. Wrap the bottom half of each section around the curler, making sure each curl is held securely in place. Starting at the root and working your way down, roll all of the sections onto the curler and secure them with pins or clips. After allowing the curls to cool, gently brush out each curl with your fingers.
Regardless of the type of set you choose, the key to achieving long-lasting style is to make sure the tools you select are appropriate for your hair type. Picking the wrong product can lead to damage, so it’s important to do your research before selecting any products or tools.
Ponytails & Up-dos
Creating the perfect ponytail or up-do can take time and practice, but these styles are achievable for anyone with a bit of patience. Below are some popular ponytails and up-dos and tips on how to create them.
- Messy Bun: Start with day-old hair, ideally with a bit of natural texture or wave. Brush your hair back into a high ponytail, twist it around itself and secure with a hair tie. Loosen sections of the bun with your fingers to create a relaxed and messy look.
- French Braid: Start by creating three separate sections of your hair. Cross the left section over the middle section and then the right section over the middle. Then, pick up a new strand of hair from the left side and add it to the left section, crossing it over the middle for a repeating pattern. Secure the braid at the end with a hair tie.
- Braided Ponytail: Create a regular three-strand braid with all your hair starting from the nape of your neck. When you reach the ends of your hair, incorporate it into a ponytail. Secure the end of the braid and the ponytail with a hair tie.
- Space Buns: Part your hair in two even sections. Tie each half of your hair up into a high ponytail, then twist the ponytail into a bun and secure with a bobby pin. You can leave the buns as is or create an extra twist for added texture. Finish with hairspray for long-lasting hold.
These are just a few of the many different styles you can create with a few simple tools and techniques. With a bit of practice and patience, you’ll be able to master any of these looks and create effortless and on-trend hairstyles with ease.
Blowdry Styling Tips
Creating on-trend hairstyles can be easy with the right blowdrying techniques! Here are some tips on how to get the perfect look with a blowdryer.
- Start by making sure your hair is tangle free and wet with the shower. Towel dry, then use a strengthening serum or leave-in conditioner to protect your hair while blowdrying.
- Use a round brush when blowdrying for smoothness and to aid in volume. Start from the base, working up the mid-lengths of your hair and finish with the ends.
- For added volume, bend over and starting from the roots blowdry with a brush. This will add lift to your hair.
- A thickening spray can help your hair appear thicker and fuller when using hot tools like a blowdryer, curling iron, or flat iron.
- Finish with a cool blast from the blowdryer to set the style and seal the cuticles.
Using the above tips as a starting point can help you achieve the effortless on-trend hairstyle you’ve been dreaming of!
Braids are a timeless look that can be used to create a variety of different styles. Whether you’re looking for a classic three-strand braid or more complex patterns, the possibilities are truly endless! Here’s a breakdown of some popular braiding techniques you can use to add texture and interest to your hair:
- French Braids: Begin with two sections of hair, cross them over each other, and begin to add a third section. As you braid, incorporate additional sections from either side of the head until you reach the end of the hair.
- Fishtail Braids: Start at the crown of your head, separate into two sections, and begin to weave the outer strands of hair from each side together. As you work your way down the length of the hair, alternate sides as you draw new pieces of hair through.
- Dutch Braids: Similar to French braids, this style begins with two sections of hair and as you go down the hairline, the braid lies closer to the scalp. To create this look, cross the left over the right and pull the outside sections up over the braid.
- Crown Braids: This style is similar to a Dutch braid, but instead of braiding all the way down, the plaits should be secured into a circle around the crown of your head. This is a great way to add volume and texture to shorter hairstyles.
- Milkmaid Braids: This classic style starts with two French braids on either side of your head that have been pulled back into a bun. Secure the ends of each braid beneath the bun or wrap a ribbon around the base to finish off the look.
Whether you want an effortless, everyday style or something a bit more intricate for a special occasion, these braiding techniques will help you create the perfect look. Be sure to practice and experiment with different types of braids to find the one that works best for you and your hair!
Colouring & Dying Techniques
When it comes to creating effortless and on-trend hairstyles, colouring and dying techniques can be essential. Fortunately, there are a number of tools and methods available that make it easy to achieve these looks. Here are some tips for using colour and dye to create beautiful, stylish hair.
Choosing Colours & Dyes
When selecting colours and dyes, it is important to consider the current hair colour, desired result, and the type of dye. Temporary dyes are an ideal solution for those wanting to experiment with different shades, or to add highlights. Semi-permanent dyes are also a popular choice for those wanting to make subtle changes to their hair. Permanent dyes are best used for making dramatic or major changes to hair colour.
Depending on the desired effect, different application techniques may be used. For a subtle change, an all-over application works well. Highlights can be achieved with a partial application technique. A technique called “ombre” is used to create a gradual lightening of hair from the roots to the tips. When applying colour or dye to hair, it is important to wear gloves to protect the hands from staining.
When caring for coloured or dyed hair, it is important to use specialised products designed for colour-treated hair. Shampoos, conditioners and other styling products labelled as “colour safe” should be chosen for washing and styling hair. For dramatic colour changes, it is also important to use toners to help maintain the desired shade.
Accessories for Effortless and On-trend Hairstyles
Adding accessories to your hairstyle can give a whole new look and turn a mundane style into something special. There are many different types of accessories available for styling hair, ranging from small accents like clips and headbands to larger items such as hats and scarves. Using the right accessory for your hair type and desired look can make a big difference.
Clips, headbands, and barrettes are great for adding a little extra interest to any style. An embellished clip or headband can turn a simple ponytail into a glamorous evening look. Barrettes are perfect for keeping hair out of the way while also adding a stylish element. For more dramatic looks, accessories like hats and scarves can create unique shapes and silhouettes in the hair. These accessories are also versatile in that they can be used to create simple everyday looks as well as elegant formal styles.
When styling with accessories, it’s important to make sure that they are properly secured to avoid any slipping or sliding during wear. Be sure to keep the size and weight of the accessory in consideration when styling, as heavier items can pull down the hair, causing it to become misshapen. Smaller elastics and clips should be positioned securely but not too tightly, as this could cause breakage or damage.
The little details can go a long way when it comes to styling hair. After creating your desired style, it’s important to give it the final touches to make it last and give it that polished look that will turn heads.
Spraying hairspray, applying heat protectant products, and using serum on the ends of your hair are all great ways to keep your hairstyle looking fresh for hours. These products add a layer of protection that keeps the style from going frizzy or limp. Additionally, they help to smooth any flyaways and increase the longevity of the style.
Using a tiny amount of product, like pomade or wax, at the end of each strand of hair can give it extra definition and texture, and it will help make the style last longer as well. By smoothing down the hairs with a tiny bit of product, you’re able to create a lasting and polished look that stands out from the crowd.
Creating on-trend hairstyles doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right techniques and tools, you can easily create stunning looks at home. From curling irons and rollers, to Ponytails and Up-dos, there’s plenty of styling options available. Additionally, you can enhance your look with accessories, colouring and dyeing techniques, and final touch-ups. There are countless ways to craft effortless and fashionable hairstyles that will last all day.